Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Turn-Offs

Top Ten Tuesday
(Hosted by Broke and Bookish)


October 1st
Top Ten Turn-Offs
(In no particular order)

1. [Drug Use] The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephan Chbosky



I like being able to connect to the characters I read about and because I do not use drugs myself, I prefer not to read books about people who use drugs. The same goes for alchohol use. I don't have a problem with people using them, as long as they are *achem* responsible, but I don't need have the desire to read all about it.

An example of this in an instance that turned me off was in The Perks of Being a Wallflower where the party scenes were just not in my interest.








2. [Explicit Sex in YAThe Infinite Moment of Us by Lauren Myracle




Not to cause confusion, I do not mind sex in YA books. What I do mind is explicit sex scenes. I very strongly believe that there is no need for it. It should be saved for new adult books which normally do have those kinds of sexual relationships in them. I feel this way not because I believe young people should refrain from sexual relations, but rather because I just don't think it's necessary. There are new adult books that have it, and it's all over the TV and in movies, so I don't see why we need it in our young adult books.








3. [Insta-Love] Hereafter by Tara Hudson



This one doesn't always ruin a book for me, but is has in many instances. I am not a huge fan of romance being the main attraction for a book, but I do like when there is a subtle one going on. However, it has to be done right from start to finish. I need to be able to visualize the connection between two characters.

I also am bothered by characters become overly possessive or jealous of their love interests only after just meeting them. A perfect example of this, in my opinion, is Hereafter.








4. [Plot Holes] Wither by Lauren DeStefano 
I really, really do not like plot holes, but they don't always turn me off. It really depends how they are done. For example, if there are some plot holes in the first book, they might be explained in the sequel and I will stick around for that. 

However, there are some plot holes that are just never explained and those really upset me. If a book includes that, I will most likely DNF if or at least not enjoy it at all.

My best example of this kind of plot hole is the book Wither by Lauren DeStefano. My problem with this book is that the characters live in this world where girls die at a young age and yet some of the girls who are captured to be sold off are killed because they are "ugly"? If the world was in that much of a need of young girls to produce babies because the population is dying than you shouldn't be concerned about that.



5. [Unnecessary CrueltyThe Darkest Minds by Alexandria Bracken





I know that so many people loved this book, but I honestly could not get myself to. I think my main problem with it is how abusive these adults were to the children in the beginning.

Yes, I understand that these children have developed freak abilities, but they are still your country's children. I had such a hard time getting into the book after that, and despite it getting somewhat better, I was never able to finish this book.








6. [Cheating] Fearless / Sam / Run by Francine Pascal








Do I have to elaborate on this one? No. Just no.















7. [Strange Writing Style] Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini





I know, I know. This is a very well loved book. However, I felt the writing style was just.. weird.

I kind of remember some quotes from it, like, "I could smell the sweat from his hands halfway across the room" and "My sweat clung to me like a wet fur coat." Those are obviously not direct quotes, mind you, but what I remember reading and do not care to read again.








8. [Wolves & Vampires] Shiver by Maggie Steifvater




I don't exactly know why for this one, but whenever I see the mention of werewolves or vampires (especially where romance with a human is invloved) I just sort of cringe away...

The best example I have of this, from experience (because I never read the Twilight series) is Shiver.

However, there are some exceptions. One being The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa, which I actually enjoyed and was a vampire/human romance.







9. [Flawless Characters] Frozen by Melissa De La Cruz


While I really enjoy reading about strong, main characters, I also like reading about people who have certain faults, problems, weaknesses and insecurities that they need to either solve or come to terms with, or overcome throughout the course of the novel.

In Frozen there were some things that Nat, the MC, had to deal with, but honestly, looking back, all I mainly remember about her and the love interest where that they were these God-made perfectly beautiful beings with perfect personalities who were just damn perfect for each other in their perfect ways and it was very annoying.





10. [Badly Behaving Characters] Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo



Like "Badly Behaving Authors" (which I really don't like but won't always detour me from reading their book), I really don't like it when the characters in books behave in ways that I do not agree with.

This sort of goes hand-in-hand with cheating, but not always. In the case of Siege and Storm, I just really was not liking the decisions that Alina and Mal made, relationship wise and outside of that. Compared to how much I loved them in Shadow and Bone, I just felt like they were completely different people and I really did not like that shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment