Sunday, October 27, 2013

Beastly by Alex Flinn


Title: Beastly

Author: Alex Flinn

Book #: Standalone



Publisher: HarperTeen


Publish Date: October 2nd 2007

Pages: 304

Format: Hardcover


Date Read (Throwback)October 20th 2012

Rating
  / out of 5


"A beautiful thing is precious, no matter the price. Those who do not know how to see the precious things in life will never be happy.."

Summary:

I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright--a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever--ruined--unless I can break the spell.
(Synopsis taken from Goodreads)

Review:

At first I wasn't quite sure I expected this to be a complete re-telling of the Disney movie. I guess my I had this opinion because of the previews I saw from the movie, and the book cover for the motion picture. The guy, Kyle I assume, looks... normal. I mean, not normal normal. Just definitely not a beast like the book portrayed him to be. 

It was a little rough getting into at first. I don't know why, but the AIM chat scenes kind of annoyed me. I just decided to skip those parts. Besides that, there were parts that I liked, or thought were okay. Unfortunately, though, there was nothing really amazing about this book that made it stand out to me. 

Overall, I thought this book was okay. I would recommend it to fans of Alex Flinn's other re-tellings, but maybe not to someone who either hasn't liked her previous work or is a real hard-core fan of these fairy tales. I really don't feel like they complement them at all.


On My Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/430414270

No comments:

Post a Comment