Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Rising by Kelley Armstrong


Title: The Rising

Author: Kelley Armstrong

Book #: 3rd of Trilogy


Publisher: HarperCollins

Publish Date: April 2nd 2013

Pages: 406

Format: Hardcover


Date Read September 7th  2013

Rating
★★½ / out of 5



"Okay. Can you help? Or can you give us the name of someone who can? Please?"
"No," A pause. "I'm sorry."
She hung up.

Summary:

Maya and the two friends she has left are still reeling from the discovery of what they really are and what the people who are after them are willing to risk to get them back.

But the stakes are higher now- they are on the run with no way to find help, their friends are being held hostage, as well as their parents who may or may not know about their children's supernatural powers, and Maya fears that, without the proper medical care, she and her friends might succumb to the unknown side effects of their powers. 

She will have to face friends, enemies and unexpected allies if she plans to ever get the answers she is looking for.

Review:

While this is far from being one of my favorite series, I can't deny that I love Ms. Armstrong's writing style. It hooked me again from the start of this book, and kept me engrossed the entire time, even when I wanted to give up on this story.

__________

I think the characters are good. Not great, but good. I really liked watching them all interact with each other and I can't help but admire the relationship Maya has with her two best guy friends. Corey and Daniel are a great support system, albeit one more serious than the other. The were pretty much always together, the three of them, and there's never a dull moment when Corey is around.

Maya is definitely a tough, very headstrong character and I admired her for it, as well. She is capable of making her own decisions and doesn't stand for anyone's B.S.

While we don't see the love interest, Rafe, as much, I actually didn't mind. The main focus in this book isn't so much so on the romance, but more on trying to figure out and fix their situation. I was really able to appreciate this and thank the author for not making Maya a complete love-sick mess. Yes, she misses Rafe, but she knows where her priorities lie.


This is where I had a few problems, though, which kept me from really enjoying this book and the series as a whole. I do like the overall idea of supernatural races being resurrected, and it's pretty cool that all these teenage kids have powers. Where can I get mine? However, there is just a lot of information to process. Maybe, for me at least, this series will require a re-read because I just have never been able to put together exactly who's who and what they want. There is a bunch of different "cabals", different experiments references, and a bunch of blurred intentions and shady motives. I was able to enjoy it based off of what I could put together, but I can't help but feel like I'm still missing something.

Another thing that was kind of a let down, was the fact that, like with the first two books, I wasn't really liking the flow of the plot. It just felt like a cat-mouse-chase that was exciting at first, but got really annoying after awhile. Maya and her friends would get some where in their search finally, only to have to run away from the cabal. Get some where again, and then run away. Get some where, run away. I almost just wanted them to get captured after a certain point, just so I didn't have to see them almost get some where again, only to have to run away. Again.

And, while this isn't so much so a problem I had with the book so I don't hold it against it or anything, does anyone else feel.. unsettled about the ending? (view spoiler)

Overall, as far as ending the series is concerned, I think this book does a decent job. I wouldn't mind seeing a continuation, though, because there is some unsettled business. Despite my reservations, I really do like this series. It was one of the first YA books that I read and for that, I feel a special connection to it. I also do love the writing style, and cannot wait to check out more of Ms. Armstrong's books!

Quotes:

"Umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you guys supposed to be dead? Currently being chased by two Cabals? You're waltzing around Vancouver, eating in restaurants?"
"Hell, no," Corey said. "I never waltz. I do the fox-trot sometimes, though."

"You shouldn't have to put up with that," he muttered as they called out suggestions behind us.
"Every girl has to put up with that. It doesn't matter what color her skin is."

"Did she just call me cute?" Corey said.
Haley turned on Tori. "Did you just flirt with my boyfriend?"
"Boyfriend?" Corey said.
"Are you coming?" I ask Corey. "Or staying to flirt back?"
"Bossy, isn't she?" Tori said.
"Yeah, I think it's hot," Corey said with a grin.

Because sometimes fighting wasn't the smart choice. It was just the stubborn, proud choice.

"And I hope- really hope- that no matter what you decide, I'll keep on being your friend. Whatever happens, I don't want to lose you, Maya."

I brandished the knife. "If you say he takes care of me again, I'll have the Nasts open a time portal and send you back to the nineteenth century, where I'm sure you'll be much happier."


On My Goodreads

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/436929960

No comments:

Post a Comment